What to do if you have kidney stones - Alpha Male Nation
I had unbearable back and abdominal pain. At first the pain surrendered to painkillers that I had to buy from the pharmacy. But in time, they stopped giving any results and all I was getting from them was vomiting and blood in my urine. And one day, while I was working I ended at the hospital, in the emergency room. After a series of analyzes, they have found that I have kidney stones. Although, the symptoms can easily be confused with those of a pregnancy.
And I couldn’t understand what brought me in this situation, so I began to study this issue of kidney stones. The diagnosis did not seem serious, but I realized that it could lead to dialysis, or death. At the beginning, the small stones remain unnoticed, but as the time passes they are becoming bigger and they can cause pain similar to a labor of childbirth.
The doctor whom I consulted told me afterwards that 90% of kidney stones are removed. I thought it was my case too, because I was taking my medication, but sometimes I had little moments of pain that I thought my fear created. In my case there was no question of a genetic inheritance, because my parents didn’t suffer from this disease, nor other relatives, I was the only one from my family who had them.
So I asked myself a question: what measures should you to take if you have kidney stones? I made a list of what not to do if you have kidney stones and I thought it would be nice to share it with other people who are in my situation.
1. Drink plenty fluids, but pay attention, Coca Cola, coffee, energy drinks favor the appearance of kidney stones. Pay attention to your hydration to be done correctly. Physician’s recommendation is to drink 3 liters of fluids per day. If you interrupt the recommendations after a while thinking that you escaped, they may return after 5 years. I started to measure my glasses of water per day, I have gradually increased the number. I started with 2 glasses per day and then I have reached an impressive number of 10 glasses per day. This pace allows the organism to get used to the amount of fluids. You’ll notice that when the fluid quantity is sufficient, urine has a light color, it is almost colorless and when the amount is insufficient it has a dark yellow color. But you have to a consult doctor, because he will decide for you how to follow a scheme of liquids, depending on how your disease progresses or regresses. It is also better to avoid fruit juice. If you start to urinate stones, strain your urine through a sieve and get the stones out. After they dry, take them to your doctor to make an analysis, so you will know what led to their formation. The type of medication is closely related to the calcium composition.
2. Avoid drinks purchased from the market. It is known that most of them contain artificial sweetening and that they increase the risk of having a kidney disease. Avoid sugary drinks. If you do them at home don’t sweeten them with any kind of sugar if you don’t want kidney stones. Unsweetened tea and water being the only ones that ensure full hydration.
3. Make sure that you have enough calcium in your diet. Do not try to replace the lack of calcium with tablets from the pharmacy. They often have no effect and they even produce sand or stones. Try to gain calcium by eating. A normal amount of calcium can be taken from food as: cheese, yogurt and milk.
4. Limit the quantity of salt. Foods that have a high salt content, create problems with your kidney function, so it is better to avoid. For example, foods that should not be in your diet are: baloney, canned ham, salty cheese ( they are known to have high salt content as the manufacturers want to keep them on the shelves longer). Also, besides these foods, avoid to put large amounts of salt in the food you prepare at home, just put a little bit, so the food will have more taste. You can use salt substitutes, maximum 15 g daily, because the sodium that it has does not affect the kidneys. Salt substitutes can be bought from a herbal store, it contains three times less sodium than normal salt and more potassium.
Signs that indicate you using too much salt : you always are thirsty and you are having burns after urination (this is a very good sign, because the kidneys help at dissolving the salt, it temporarily stops the production of urine and it conserves water). You may feel a burning after urination, this is caused by water shortages, which in time leads to sand and kidney stones.
5. Do not take anti inflammatory pills excessively. Anti inflammatory pills fall into two broad categories: drugs and steroids (those have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect and important side effects, so they are used only on medical advice in major diseases). The anti inflammatory pills can have different side effects, some are serious, therefore, prolonged use should not be considered without a medical recommendation.
The aspirin, for instance, leads the production of substances that generate pain and inflammation, but which regulates the activity of your kidneys. At the smallest sign of an illness go to your doctor, do not take pills recommended by friends, books or movies.
6. Control your blood sugar level. Diabetes can cause kidney illness. You should check at least once a week the level of sugar from your blood, especially if you are over 40 years old. One of the role of kidneys is to transform amino acids into glucose, increasing its level. Please note that if you suffer from a renal disease, the kidneys will no longer supplement the required amount of glucose and hypoglycemia is installed.
7. Watch your diet ! Eat less proteins, avoid meat, especially pork, animal proteins are to blame for the crystallization of salts from urine and for lowering the quantity of citrate substance, the one that protects the kidneys from stone formation. It is recommended to eat meat once every two days and to eliminate fatty foods like pizza, fries and chips from your diet. I will give you an example of a diet given by my doctor, talk with your doctor if you know this can be applied in your case too. It must be adapted, depending on your weight and your life’s style.
Breakfast: a glass of water, a cup of skim milk, 1 boiled egg, 2 slices of toasted white bread, an apple.
Lunch: 60 grams of chicken or fish, 2 slices of white bread, 1 cup of iceberg cabbage, a slice of watermelon, a piece of cake, a cup of water.
Dinner: 100 grams of baked fish, a cup of rice, one cup of peas, 2 tablespoons butter, a bun, 15 small biscuits, a glass of water.
8. Detoxify your kidneys ! Before doing the detoxify, consult your doctor.
These herbs can help you detoxify your kidneys, but do not replace your doctor’s diet with them, use them as a food supplement.
Parsley it is known to be a very good diuretic, it increases the well functioning of your bladder, which leads to a better cleaning of the kidneys and to the elimination of the bacteria. Add a teaspoon of parsley in a cup of boiling water and leave it covered for 4 minutes. For 5 days, try to drink 2-3 cups of parsley tea daily. You can add parsley into your daily salads . You can make a fresh parsley juice, ½ cup water and ½ cup parsley juice, add some honey and lemon juice. Mix well and drink two or three times a day for 3 weeks.
Nettle tea is a formidable diuretic, it does not only helps detoxify the kidneys, but it also prevents their infection and transformation of crystals in kidney stones. Boil one tablespoon of nettle leaves for around 12 minutes, strain and add a little honey. Drink this tea for two weeks, twice a day.
Tassel. It helps treating urinary tract infections, kidney infections and it helps eliminate kidney stones naturally. Put 4 tablespoons of tassel in a cup of water and boil for 10 minutes. Drink this tea for several weeks. Drink plenty of water in the days you drink this tea for a correct detoxification.
Dandelion. Its use as a natural remedy has many benefits among which the fact that it treats the pancreas, the spleen and the kidneys (sand and rocks).
Put, in the evening, a teaspoon of dandelion roots in a cup of cold water. In the morning, heat it up until it begin to boil and after it’s been cooled, filter it. This amount is to be splitted in half and drink it, sip by sip, half an hour before and after breakfast. Dandelion root tea has a diuretic effect and helps dissolve kidney stones fast. Be careful you have ulcer or gastritis, because dandelion may cause an overproduction of gastric acid. The juice found in dandelion stems can cause allergies for sensitive individuals. In the case of gallstones or bile duct obstruction, consult a specialist before taking dandelion-based remedies.
Ginger. Get rid of kidney crises with this Asian spice. Ginger is a natural antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory. It is an excellent diuretic, doctors recommend it for kidney stones, urinary infections and urinary retention. Eating/drinking ginger root, in moderation, helps you get rid of kidney crises, sometimes acting better than an antibiotic. Prepare ginger root tea daily from small pieces (about 4 cm), wash and delicately grate it. Put a pot of water (1 liter) on fire and when it starts boiling add the grated ginger. Let it boil for a minute, then take it off the stove and cover the pot with a lid. After 20 minutes, strain the tea and let it cool. Drink two cups a day, with lemon if you like, but never in the evening ( it has an energizing effect). It is good to add ginger in your diet to keep your kidneys healthy.
Celery. Another good diuretic, it eliminates toxins and heavy metals from the body. Even doctors recommend this miraculous herb. Celery juice helps breaking and removing kidney stones. For best results, it is recommended to consume both its leaf and root, for a month, 200 ml per day before main meals.
Turmeric. It has antiseptic properties, for thousands of years being used in treatment of several diseases. It cleans the kidneys, the livers and the blood. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with lemon juice and a little bit of honey in a cup of water slightly heated. Drink this mixture for one month. You might also try the following combination: a teaspoon of turmeric and half a teaspoon of grated ginger in two cups of boiling water. Simmer it for 10 minutes and add some lemon juice and drink this tea for two weeks, then pause for one week, then again, drink it for two weeks. Also, add turmeric in your daily diet.
Horsetail. It is well known for its diuretic properties. It helps the kidneys to eliminate all retained toxins much easier, is a good antioxidant and it’s helping not only the kidneys, but the entire renal unit. Add 2 tablespoons of horsetail herb to a cup of boiling water and leave it for 15 minutes. Drink 2-3 cups a month. You can find horsetail supplements on the market.
Tea of cherry tails. After you’ve eaten the delicious cherries, dried the tails at sun light, they are a wonderful cure for your kidneys. They are recognized as some of the most natural and effective diuretic. Take a handful of cherry tails and boil them 10 minutes in 700 ml water. Take the mixture from the stove and leave to infuse for 20 to 30 minutes. Drink all of it throughout the day. FIt is recommended that you keep the tails clean and to dry them in the house after consuming the cherries or you can find them at special stores.
Goldenrod flowers are a remedy that fight urinary tract infections and help evacuate kidney stones. You can find them easily in health stores.
Also, the roots of Eupatorium cannabinum provides protection against kidney stones and increases the flow of urine. It has a role in maintaining an alkaline body, by expelling the excess of uric acid, a cause of kidney stones.
9. Give up tobacco. It’s time to stop smoking. Smoking pollutes the body and this phenomenon causes a hard functioning of the kidneys in the process of eliminating the toxins and the pollutants from our body. Smoking is also the cause of free radicals that cause various forms of cancer and diseases, all having a major negative effect on the kidneys. Moreover, smoking impede blood flow, which then reflects on the kidneys and lead to kidney disease. Quitting smoking can restore your health and helps reduce stress levels on body organs, so that they can function properly.
10. Reduce the consume of alcohol. Certainly a drink once in awhile does not hurt anybody, but excessive alcohol consumption and in large quantities considerably affects the kidneys. Try to reduce as much as possible the amount of alcohol you are drinking daily. If you go out in a club, it is not necessary to try all the beverages the bartender offers you. Limit yourself to 1 or 2 cocktails per night and hydrate yourself properly. Although, if you have kidney stones, some doctors recommend their patients to drink beer, but no more than 1 bottle (maximum 500 ml).
11. Drink lots of water. A proverb says that water passes and stones remain, but fortunately this doesn’t apply at kidney stones. Because tap water is oftenly used and in more and places, it is unfit for consumption, well water is also too harsh and frequently contaminated with nitrates, most parents are using bottled water for example, for making milk powder for infants, but also for older children. Daily consumption of mineral water in detriment of the normal one is a contributory cause of the appearance of the kidney stones. For this reason only, you should never replace normal water with the mineral one. The mineral water have loads of minerals that we are unable to remove through our kidneys.
12. Lose some pounds! Look at the weight you have, because even though you think that diet itself does not represent a risk for kidney stones, it certainly has the most important role in this issue. For example, high quantity of sodium intake leads to the appearance of kidney stones. Obese people have a greater risk in developing kidney diseases, sand or stones, because fat tissue in the body triggers a series of reactions that increase the concentration of uric acid in the urine.
13. Removing stones with ultrasounds. If you had not succeeded with any of the above methods, and you don’t want to go through a surgery, there is a solution, breaking the stones with ultrasounds. This procedure is used to crush renal stones into very small pieces. Being small, they can be removed more easily. The advantage is that is less painful than a surgery and you will recover much easier. Endoscopic lithotripsy is an alternative. Through the bladder ureter it is inserted a small instrument attached to a unit that uses ultrasound to break stones. Sometimes stones can not be broken during lithotripsy and you may need surgery.
14. Eat fibers. Let’s discuss what you are allowed to eat and what you are not. Eat foods high in fiber. Eat green leafy vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains, everything to keep the digestive tract healthy. Fiber helps to eliminate toxins from the body and prevents storage of minerals that turn, most often, in kidney stones. Chocolate is rich in antioxidants and oxalic acids, already known for their helping in the formation of kidney stones. Do not completely remove chocolate, but it would be better to be consumed in moderation. Drink at least one glass of fresh lemonade daily, because it helps increasing the level of citrate in the urine. If your body has low urinary citrate, the chances of the appearance of kidney stones increase considerably.
15. Buy a jade stone! The jade is called the “kidney stone”, because it has a powerful curative effect. The jade stone stores more than 30 minerals that resonate with our body and it helps our body to absorb minerals from food. Infrared jade therapy is a natural and a new preventive method, which looks at the roots of the problems and acts holistically, treating the entire body. Many people are pleased by this therapy and you can try it too, unless you want to wait until you get a surgical intervention. I think it’s worth the time and money and it is far more healthy than other procedures.
In conclusion, what are the methods that you have in mind ? Something you have to change and it is up to you what it will be. For some of you, thinking that having kidney stones is not dangerous, but you will see how much it will affect you after they become bigger. You have to do all sorts of treatments and not to mention the pain of releasing a kidney stone. Whatever you have in mind, consult your doctor first. This is not an issue that should be taking easily.
There 15 methods I presented to you are the most effective and the most desired by those who suffered from kidney stones. There are many more, including special medicamentation from your physician. Decide for yourself what method suits you and start doing it. And as a last advice, I recommend you to drink 10 to 12 cups of water per day, to reduce the consumption of animal protein and salt and to eat fruits and vegetables every day!