Chemistry of the hangover - Alpha Male Nation
The Chemistry and Anatomy of the Hangover
A hangover is a “storm” in your metabolism. On one hand, the increased level of ethanol in the blood leads to dehydration (fluid loss), and headaches. On the other hand, it damages the liver and can lead to cirrhosis.
What causes a hangover?
- Inflammation of the stomach lining
- Low blood sugar
- lack of sleep
Dehydration is what causes many of the symptoms of a hangover. Alcohol may upset your stomach and will bring you bad sleep at night. You can still have a certain amount of alcohol in your system the next morning.
But at the same time, it must be said that alcohol and alcohol are not the same things. Various alcoholic beverages cause different symptoms.
For example, in darker alcoholic beverages such as whiskey, brandy, bourbon and tequila and red wine, the level of these bad substances is high. White wine, vodka, and gin contain much less of them, so the hangover caused by them is much easier.
MD Robert Swift claimed that after many studies they have found that the colorless alcohol is safer than colored.
Some myths and truths
South Americans, for example, before they start to drink, rubbed with lemon тthe armpit of the hand that will hold the drink. Russians swear that pickles juice helps and some Asians rely on their own urine in the fight against hangovers.
Some cultures drink olive oil before starting to drink alcohol.
The same goes for potato purée some people eat two spoons of mashed potatoes before drinking, here important is the fat in the oil that is taken together with potatoes, helping you not to get drunk very fast.
Celebrities give recipes against hangover
The best solution according to the new James Bond Daniel Craig is the sauna. Christian Bale does rely on the sports to fight hangover and especially, running.
Brad Pitt has revealed that for him the most effective cure for a hangover is fatherhood.
Russell Crowe believes that if you stick to one type of alcohol, there is no danger to get drunk.
The music producer Simon Cowell said he does not remember when he got drunk for the last time, but the cure in such situations is the following: intense workouts and large amounts of fruit juice.
Jamie Oliver swears by a double portion of eggs and bacon.
Roger Moore has discovered that the best is to eat some ice cream for breakfast.
What helps when it’s too late?
The only way to avoid a hangover is not to drink at all. This recommendation of course not always works, so it is recommended before alcohol to use fatty foods. They inhibit the uptake of alcohol in the body much better than a salad for example.
Water – After a heavy night, your head hurts because the body is dehydrated and the brain shrinks. The solution is simple and is called water. If there are a universal means of sobering and combat a hangover, this is definitely water. Only sometimes it is not enough to wake up in the morning and drink a cup of water. One option is to drink more water and fluids during the same evening, and the other – immediately before bedtime.
Coffee does NOT help. Caffeine is also a diuretic and increases dehydration of the body.
Rest is important to overcome the hangover. Close your curtains and rest as much as possible. The consequences of large quantities of alcohol exhausted your body. Blood vessels dilate and cause monstrous headaches, heartburn gurgles and blood sugar falls. Your body needs rest. Unfortunately, sleep after the hangover is not the most relaxing and satisfying sleep you can have.
Eat a light meal. Preferably crispbread biscuits, toast, rice, bananas. It is better to avoid heavy and oily and spicy foods that can irritate the stomach lining.
Analgesics. Some medications also help to more quickly deal with the hangover. Doctors warn that aspirin and NSAIDs have an adverse effect on the gastric mucosa.
Hot soup is a good source of vitamins and minerals that can supplement the depleted resources of your body. The main advantage of bouillon and soups that are easily digestible food for a weakened stomach and need organism (such as body after hangover and hangover).
Non-alcoholic cocktail “fresh breath”
We recommend that you drink it when it is too late to prevent a hangover – you wake up with a headache and your breath is simply not suitable for kisses. The advantage is that parsley has the ability to purify the blood and carrots are rich in vitamin A.
Ingredients: juice of 1 orange, 4 medium carrots, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar 4 large sprigs of parsley
Preparation: Cut the oranges in half and squeeze. Pour the juice into a glass. Squeeze carrots and parsley. Add to orange juice and stir. Drink immediately!
How to clean your body from the toxins
Poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle may overload and damage the liver by reducing its ability to process toxins and fats, which can be a cause of many diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, chronic fatigue, headaches, allergies, digestive problems etc.
We have selected are some foods that have a beneficial impact on this vital organ, and help its recovery and clearing.
- Grapefruit – Besides an excellent source of vitamin C and pectin, grapefruit contains glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and helps to clear heavy metals.
- Beetroot – Rich in beta carotene, beetroot is especially useful for liver, acting in its stimulating and invigorating. Moreover, beer cleanses the blood, thus further support the work of the liver.
- Lemons – Contained in lemons antioxidant D-Limonene helps activate enzymes that clean toxins and high levels of vitamin C increased their production. Lemons also improve absorption of minerals from the liver.
- Green tea Catechin – which is contained in green tea, helps lipid metabolism in the liver, which reduces fat accumulation. Furthermore, it supports the elimination of toxins and protects the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol.
- Avocados – Rich in glutathione avocado helps the proper functioning of the liver, the high content of unsaturated fatty acids reduce levels of “bad” cholesterol, and many minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals positively influence the health status of the liver and help to break down fats.
- Apples – An excellent source of pectin, which helps to clear toxins from the digestive tract and cholesterol from the blood, thereby facilitating the work of the liver.
- Walnuts – The high content of the amino acid L-arginine, as well as glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids, assist the natural process of clearing the liver by ammonia and other harmful toxins, and polyphenols protect it from damage.
- Broccoli – Contained in broccoli glucosinolates derived carcinogens and other harmful toxins from the body and the high amount of fiber further hastened the process by aiding the digestive system. As a bonus coming presence of fat-soluble vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps the liver to fully carry out its functions.